Glossary of Miller Government Ch. 19
Other Decks By This User
- a person employed by a bureaucracy
- A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions
- independent executive agency
- A federal agency with a specific function that reports directly to the president.
- partisan politics
- politics in support of a particular party's ideology
- independent regulatory agency
- Responsible for for a specific type of public policy. Its function is to create and implement rules that regulate private activity and protect the public interestin a particular sector of the economy.
- government corporation
- An agency of government that is run as a business enterprise. such an agency is established when the activity is primarily commercial, produces revenue, and requires greater flexibility than permitted in most government agencies.
- civil service
- The term used for the system governing the civilian employees of the government and generally for those who obtained employment through the merit system.
- spoils system
- An arrangement under which the political party that wins the election gives jobs to its own party members.
- merit system
- The syste used to select, promote, and retain government employees based on comtetitive exams and service reviews.
- A government employee that calls public attention to fraud, mismanagement, or waste in his or her own agency or department.
- neutral competency
- Federal bureaucrats are expected to exhibit neutral competency, which means that they are supposed to apply their technical skills to their jobs without regard to political issues.
- iron triangle
- Term used for a three-way alliance between bureaucrats, legislators, and interest groups to make or preserve policies that benefit their respective personal interests
You must Login or Register to add cards