Glossary of Miller Government Ch. 13
Other Decks By This User
- The legal right to vote
- To deprive voters of the ability to vote
- literacy tests
- A voting requirement that require a person to prove they can read before they are allowed to vote.
- grandfather clauses
- used in the south to deny blacks the vote. Allowed anyone to vote in current elections who could prove that their grandfather had voted before 1867.
- poll tax
- A fee that had to be paid before voting. Outlawed by the 24th Amendment in federal elections and in 1966 for state and local elections.
- becoming an eligible voter by entering your name and meeting other requirements like residency, age, and citizenship.
- A requirement that a person must live in a state or area to be eligible to vote.
- voter turnout
- The percentage of eligible citizens that actually take part in the election process.
- absentee ballots
- Votes that are mailed in by voters rather than cast at the polls.
- Party identification
- Linking oneself with a political party.
- policy voting
- When people vote for candidates that share their views on certain key issues.
- green vote
- A vote from those who support stronger laws to protect andd preserve the environment
- socioeconomic factors
- Things like age, income, education, occupation and others that give a profile of a group or individual
- gender gap
- Describes the difference between male and female political views or the percentage diference in the voting of the 2 genders in an election.
- Solid South
- Term used to describe the tendency of southern states to vote for the democratic party after the civil war. The trend has changed in recent decades.
- split ballot
- The act of voting for candidates from more than one political party in an election.+
You must Login or Register to add cards