Glossary of Midterm 2 Material
Other Decks By This User
- What percent of the world is Islamic?
- Who was Islam founded by and when?
- Muhammed in 622 AD
- What is the text of Islam?
- The Qur'an
- What is trinitarianism?
- One God, three different names
- One in ________, three in _______
- essence, substenance
- What is the Hijrah?
- The flight to Medina from Mecca
- What are the "Five Pillars" of Islam?
- Confession, Prayers, Almsgiving, Fasting, and Pilgrimage.
- What are the six major Muslim beliefs?
- Unity, Angels, Prophets, Books, Judgement, and Decrees.
- What are the three major sects of Islam?
- Sunni (tend towards tolerance), Shi'a (tend towards violence), and Sufi (mystics).
- What were three reactions of Islam to the influence of the west?
- Secularism (Separation of religion and state), Islmaic modernilzation (Attempt to fit Islam with modern world), and Islamic fundamentalism (A return to what is perceived as pristine Islam).
- What are three social change processes which have influenced the contemporary Islamic revival?
- Urbanization, Literary/Education, and Creation of a Public Sphere (universitites).
- What is the goal of Islamic fundamentalism?
- To join politics and religion in a Muslim state, where religion determines Truth and government structures all of life in conformity with Truth.
- What are the three greatest works of Augustine?
- Confessions, On the Trinity, and City of God
- What is faith?
- Knowledge gained from sense experience
- What is Augustine's Confessions considered?
- An autobiography written as a prayer
- "The ______ heard round the world." was said about Thomas Aquinas
- Who was teh astronomer who said that the earth was round?
- Averroes (also translated Aquinas to Latin)
- What is reason?
- Knowledge gained by experience
- What are the five ways of Aquinas?
- Motion, efficient cause, contingency, gradation, and design.
- What is the Thomistic Dualism?
- Nature (natural world) and grace (supernatural world)
You must Login or Register to add cards