Glossary of Microbiology J. Meyers Owens Lab II test
Other Decks By This User
- Cold loving bacterium
some species grow below 0-C
no human pathogens in this group
- middle temp. loving bacterium
most mesophiles live in the 20-40 range
most human pathogens live in the 30-40 range
- heat loving bacterium
no human pathogens
- extreme heat loving bacterium
above 80 Celcius
include members of divesion archaea
- bacteria must have oxyger for survival
- Obligate aerobe
- fermentation for ATP
caon only survive in the absence of oxygen
don't use oxygen for ATP production
will die in the presence of toxic forms of oxygen
no enzyme system to detoxify the toxic forms of oxygen
- Obligate anaerobe
- can exist with or without oxygen
more efficient catabolism of glucose with oxygen
ex. yeast; many bacteria
- Facultative anaerobe
- requires small amounts of oxygen
microbes living in soil, water, animals
ex. Helicobacter pylori
(lives in stomach cavity)
don't use oxygen for metabolism
are able to breakdown toxic forms of oxygen
ex. many bacteria
- Aerotolerant anaerobe
- Anaerobic microhabitats in the human body include these three areas.
- Oral cavity
- nost bavteria live within a pH range of 6.5-7.5
these bacteria are referred to as ___________.
- Potassium phosphate is added to growth media for what purpose?
- To stabilize the pH
- bacteria that require an acidcic invironment
- Obligate Acidophiles
- Bacteria that can surive in an acidic environment
ex. Helicobacter pylori
- Acid Tolerant microbes
- bacteria that flourish in alkaline conditions
ex. Vibrio cholerae
- bacteria that can surive at high osmotic pressure
ex. Staphylococcus aureus on the skin
- Mannitol and Phenol Red are diferential and sodium chloride is the selective ingredients in what type of growth media?
- Mannitor Salt Agar
- Staphylococcus aureus will turn the Mannitol Salts Agar what color?
- Staphylocci species other than aureus will do what to the Mannitol Salts Agar?
- What agar contains Lactose, Crystal violet, Bile Salts and neutral red?
- MacConkey Agar
- In MacConkey Agar what is the diferinciating ingredient?
- In MacConkey Agar what is the selective ingredient?
- Crystal violet, Bile Salts and Neutral Red
- Escherichia coli
Enterobacter aerogenes are what type of fermenters?
- Lactose fermemters
- Salmonella typhi and Shigella dysenteriae are what type of fermentators.
- Non-Lactose fermenters
- Media used to isolate a bacterial type from a mixed population, Differentiate among closely related bacterial groups
Asaay antibiotics, vitamins and other substances
identify bavteria based on ability to produce chimica
- Special Purpose Media
You must Login or Register to add cards