Glossary of Microbiology - Mycobacteria (MOTTs)
Other Decks By This User
- What are the characteristics of Photochromogens (Runyon I)?
- slow growing, produce a yellow-orange pigment when exposed to light
- What are the species in Runyon I?
M. kansasii - TB-like disease
M. mariumn - from aquariums
- What are the characteristics of Scotochromogens (Runyon II)?
- slow growing, produce a yellow-orange pigment in LIGHT OR in the DARK
- What are the species in Runyon II?
- Suzie Scarfs Flavored Gorditas
- What are the characteristics of Nonchromogens (Runyon III)?
- slow growing, do not produce pigment
- What are the species in Runyon III?
- Matt Gux
- What are the characteristics of Rapid Growers (Runyon IV)?
- rapid growing for mycobacteria (colonies in 5 days). NO PIGMENT
- What are the species in Runyon IV?
- Rapid Growers check their "facs"
- Char of M. avium-intracellulare comples (MAC/MAIC)
- - most common non-TB rspnsble for pulmonary & disseminated disease.
-Incr because of AIDS
-Disseminated infection w/ MAC most common bact complication in AIDS
- Characteristics of M. kansasii
- chronic lung infection resembling TB
- Characteristics of M. marinum
- -infection follows trauma (often in pools, aquariums, ponds)
-Almost always confined to superficial, cooler body tissues
- Characteristics of M. scrofulaceum
- -freq cause of lymphadenitis
-most common in children 1-3 yrs
-involves nodes in submandibular area
- Characteristics of M. fortuitum
- infections of skin/soft tissues,
may resemble abscesses due to Staph.
- M. gordonae
- water borne contaminant
You must Login or Register to add cards