Glossary of Medical Terminology for Health Professions Ch 1
Other Decks By This User
- the surgical puncture of the abdominal cavity to remove fluid
- a word formed from the initial letter or letters of the major parts of a compound term
- a radiographic (x-ray) study of the blood vessels after
the injection of a contrast medium
- the surgical removal of the appendix
- an inflammation of the appendix
- the tissue death of an
artery or arteries
- the abnormal hardening of the walls of an artery or
- joint pain
- the surgical creation of an opening between the colon and the body surface
- identification of the disease
- excess fluid in body tissues, causing swelling.
- pertaining to the interior or lining of an artery
- the visual examination of the interior of a body cavity or organ by means of an endoscope
- is a disease, structure, operation, or procedure named for the person who discovered or described it first.
- a groove or crack-like sore of
- is an abnormal passage
usually between two internal organs, or leading from an organ to the surface of the body.
- Gastrodynia or Gastralgia
- pain in the stomach
- an inflammation of the stomach
- means any disease of the stomach
- is a specialist in diagnosing and treating
diseases, disorders, and problems associated with aging
- the loss of a large amount of blood in a short time
- the abnormal enlargement of the liver
- higher than normal blood pressure.
- lower than normal blood pressure.
- part of the small intestine.
(Remember, ileum is spelled with an e as in intestine.)
- is part of the hip bone.
(Remember, ilium is spelled with an i as in hip.)
- the invasion of the body by a pathogenic (disease producing) organism. The infection may remain localized or may be systemic (affecting the entire body).
- is a localized response to an injury or destruction of tissues.
- means between, but not within, the parts of a tissue.
- means within the muscle.
- is any condition of unusual deposits of black pigment in
different parts of the body
- any disease caused by a fungus
- is any pathologic change or disease in the spinal cord
- any pathologic change or disease of muscle tissue
- is the rupture of a muscle
- is the study of disorders of the newborn
- is inflammation of a nerve or nerves
- is the surgical repair of a nerve
- the study of the ears and larynx or throat
- the study of the ears, nose, and throat
- is an examination technique
in which the examiner’s ands are used to feel the texture, size, consistency, and location of certain body parts.
- the time and events surrounding birth
- the time and events after birth
- is a forecast or prediction of the probable course and outcome of a disorder
- a male gland that
lies under the urinary bladder and surrounds the
- means to collapse and be
lying flat or to be overcome with exhaustion.
- is an inflammation of the renal pelvis
- any acute, inflammatory, pus-forming bacterial skin infection such as impetigo
- means below a rib or ribs.
- the act of rotating the arm so that the palm of the hand is forward or upward.
- the formation or discharge of pus.
- means above or outside the ribs.
- subjective evidence of a disease such as pain or a headache.
- the signs and symptoms that occur together as part of a specific disease process.
- the surgical removal of the tonsils
- is an inflammation of the tonsils
- means wound or injury.
These are the types of injuries that might occur in
an accident, shooting, natural disaster, or fire.
- the medical screening of
patients to determine their relative priority of need
and the proper place of treatment. For example,
emergency personnel arriving on an accident scene
must identify which of the injured require care first
and determine where they can be treated most
- means pertaining to a virus
- means possessing masculine traits.
You must Login or Register to add cards