Glossary of Medical Terminology Chapts. 10 and 22
Other Decks By This User
- Lower portion of the brain that connects the cerebrum with the spinal cord. The pons and the medulla oblongata are part of the brainstem.
- Middle layer of the three membranes (meninges) that surround the brain and spinal cord.
- Arachnoid Membrane
- Part of a nerve cell that contains the nucleus.
- Cell Body
- Nerves that control involuntary body functions of muscles, glands, and internal organs.
- Autonomic Nervous System
- Microscopic fiber that carries the nervous impulse along a nerve cell.
- The brain and the spinal cord make up the...?
- Central Nervous System (CNS)
- Part of the brain that coordinates muscle movements and maintains balance.
- gray matter of the brain.
- Cerebral Cortex
- Fluid that circulates thoughout the brain and spinal cord.
- Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF)
- Largest part of the brain.
- Thick, outermost layer of the meninges surrounding and protecting the brain and spinal cord.
- Dura Mater
- A collection of nerve cell bodies in the peripheral nervous sustem.
- Sheets of nerve cells that produce elevation in the surface of the cerebral cortex; convolution
- The part of the brain just above the spinal cord; controls beathing, hear beat, and the size of blood vessels; nerve fibers cross over here.
- Medulla Oblongata
- Three protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
- Microscopic structure consisting of axons and dendrites in bundles like strands of rope.
- Crainial, spinal, and autonomic nerves make up the....?
- Peripheral Nervous System
- Large, interlacing network of nerves.
- Organ that recieves a nervous stimulation and passes it on to nerves within the body.
- Carry messages to the brain and spinal cord from a receptor.
- Sensory Nerves
- Change in the internal or external environment that evokes a response.
- Depression or groove in the surface of the cerebral cortex.
- Autonomic nerves that influence body functions involuntarily in times of stress.
- Sympathetic Nerves
You must Login or Register to add cards