Glossary of Medical-Pediatric23-Foreign Body Aspiration
Other Decks By This User
- Foreign body aspiration can occur at any age but is most common at what age?
- 1-3 yo
- Offending foods in the order of frequency of aspiration are?
- hot dog
peanut or other nut
peanut butter (always spread
thinly on cracker
(an uninflated, inflated, or broken-piece latex balloon is esp. hazardous; MYLAR balloons are safe)
other FB offenders include:
aluminum tabs from soft drink
plastic tabs from protective
coverings on containers
price tags on containers
- Which shape is more likely to occlude an airway?
- round, pliable object that does not break apart
(even small objects can produce various changes:
- A foreign body (FB) in the airway results in?
- LARYNGOTRACHEAL obstruction most commonly causes?
cyanosis (if obstruction
- BRONCHIAL obstruction usually produces?
- cough (frequently paroxysmal)
asymmetric breath sounds
decreased airway entry
- If an object is lodged in the larynx, the child will not be able to?
livid...and if obstruction becomes total, the child can become?
- breathe or speak....if obstruction progresses, the child's face may become?
unconscious and die of?
- If obstruction is partial, hours, days, even weeks may pass without?
the initial episode of coughing and gagging
- symptoms after the initial period....often, by the time secondary symptoms appear, the parents have forgotten?
- Secondary symptoms are related to?
a persistent respiratory infection distal to the?
- the anatomic area in which the object is lodged and are usually caused by?
- Other times when foreign body (FB) may be suspected is in the presence of acute or chronic?
- PULMONARY LESIONS
- Radiographic exam reveals opaque FBs but is of limited use in localizing?
- vegetable matter
- Bronchoscopy is required for definitive diagnosis of objects in?
- larynx and trachea
- Fluoroscopic exam is valuable in detecting and localizing FBs in the?
- Emergency treatment for a choking child includes?
- abdominal thrusts for children older than 1 year old and back blows and chest thrusts for children younger than 1 year old
- A foreign body is rarely coughed up?
endoscopy...the procedure should be done quickly, because?
high humidity atmosphere and any secondary infection is treated with appropriate?
- spontaneously...most frequently, it must be removed instrumentally by?
of progressive local inflammatory process hampers removal of foreign body....a chemical pneumonia soon develops, and vegetable matter begins to macerate with a few days, causing more difficult removal....after removal of FB, child is placed in?
- Not every child who gags or coughs while eating is truly choking. The 3 signs of TRUE choking are?
- CANNOT SPEAK
(the child can die within 4 MINUTES)
You must Login or Register to add cards