Glossary of Managing Conflict
Other Decks By This User
- An approach to dealing with conflict in which the individual chooses not to address the issue at hand.
- In decision making, an agreement among all participants to accept the proposed solution.
- A strategy for dealing with conflict in which the individual gives into the wishes of another to preserve harmony or build up social credits.
- An approach to conflict that involves give and take on the part of all involved.
- An approach to conflict in which the individual works for his or her particular desired solution exclusively.
- majority vote
- Acceptance of a ruling, decision, or outcome that is favored by the greatest number of the participants.
- To bring about resolution of a conflict or dispute through friendly or diplomatic intervention sometimes involving a third party who serves as a go-between.
- To reach an agreement through conferring, bargaining, or discussing the issues.
- The process of finding areas where both parties may give somewhat and then both parties gain.
- problem solving
- A method of conflict resolution in which the individuals involved work toward common goals, also referred to as the collaborative approach.
- role ambiguity
- Occurs when employees do not know what to do, how to do it, or what the outcomes must be.
- role conflict
- Occurs when two or more individuals in different positions within the organization believe that certain actions or responsibilities belong exclusively to them.
- scarcity of resources
- Exists when there is an inadequate amount of supplies, equipment, funds, space, employees, or other elements critical to the operation of an organization.
- An approach to dealing with conflict in which the individual tries to eliminate anger and expressions of difference without addressing the issue itself, similar to "smoothing."
- An outcome of conflict in which one of the parties wins (dominates) and the other loses (submits).
- An outcome of conflict in which both parties win.
- A strategy for dealing with conflict in which the individual retreats from the situation or ignores it.
- An approach to conflict in which the individuals involved in the conflict work toward common goals.
- integrative decision making
- An approach to decision making or conflict resolution that involves problem solving and collaboration among those involved.
- An approach to dealing with conflict in which the individual tries to eliminate anger and expressions of difference without addressing the issue itself.
You must Login or Register to add cards