Glossary of Law Test 2: p.97-98
Other Decks By This User
- Court order for a person to do or not do a particular act.
- Usual remedy for a tort. They are a monetary award to the injured party to compensate for loss. (Actual:hospital bills, documents or Punitive:punishment)
- Contingency fee
- Lawyers get a portion of the recovery
- Punitive Damages
- Additional damages awarded as punishment to the defendant and an example to deter others.
- party that initiates the lawsuit by filing a complaint
- Party complained against in a criminal or civil proceeding
- Civil juries
- Made up to 6-12 citizens who listen to witnesses.
- Opening Statments
- Briefly outline what the plaintiff and the defendant will try to prove.
- Includes anything that the judge allows to be presented to the jury that helps to prove or disprove the alleged facts.
- Statments made under oath by witnesses
- Someone who has personal knowledge of the facts
- Expert Witness
- A witness who possesses superior knowledge about important facts.
- A written order by the judge commanding a witness to appear in court to give testimony.
- Contempt of Court
- Unexpected failure to appear in court as a witness,
- Closing Arguments
- Summarize the case, trying to persaude the jury
- The decision of the jury.
- The final result of the trial.
- For the Plaintiff if he wins
- Sum of Money
- For the Defendant if he wins
- "Judgment for the defendant"
- Writ of Execution
- If defendant does not pay, plaintiff may obtain this which money is enforced through property of the defendant, etc.
You must Login or Register to add cards