Glossary of LHHS OCAD Music Basic
Other Decks By This User
- What is word-painting?
- techinique wereby the written text of a song is illustatd musically
- What is Vivace?
- quick, lively tempo
- What is Verse-Chorus form?
- two part-form with text changing in the verse section and repeated text in the chorus section
- What type of music is twelve-bar blues?
- form of African-American poplar music
- What is a triad chord?
- basic chord combining a begining note and the third and fifth notes above it
- What is the treble clef?
- symbol that indicates that the second line from the bottom of a staff repesents the pitch of G above middle C; also caled G clef
- What is the tonic?
- main note of major or minor key
- What is the timbre or tone color?
- characteristic of instrumental and vocal sounds that make them distinguishable to the ear
- What is tonality?
- feeling of pull toward a particular tone, which is determined by the key of hte music
- What is the time signature?
- figures on the staff at the beginning of a piece that indicate its meter
- What does it mean when a form is through-composed?
- musical form in which each stanza or verse is set to different music so that there is no repeating section
- What is theme and variation form?
- musical form in which one melodic idea is repeated with variations that may be rhythmic, melodic, harmonic, or any combinaton thereof
- What is texture in music?
- manner in which linear musical parts are blend
- What is the ternary form?
- form comprised of three sections, with the third being a repetition of the first (ABA)
- What is tempo?
- speed of a musical piece
You must Login or Register to add cards