Glossary of KINE 2020 - Riddell - Nutrition and Exercise for health
Other Decks By This User
- What are essential nutrients and how many are there?
- Essential nutrients are not created by the body. Therefore, they are essential because we must find sources that can these nutrients. In total, there are 45 essential nutrients.
- How many kilocalories are in a gram of protein, carbohydrate, fat, alcohol?
- Protein - 4kcal/g
Carbohydrate - 4kcal/g
Fat - 9kcal/g
Alcohol - 7kcal/g
- How many essential aminoacids are there?
- There are 9 essential amino acids. Histidine, isoleucine, leucine, phenylaline, methionine, lysine, theronine, tryptophan and valine.
- What are 4 types of fat?
- Saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, Trans Fat(hydrogenated)
- Why are saturated and trans fat's bad?
- Saturated and Trans fat lower the HDL levels in the blood. Therefore, cholesterol builds up readily on the arterial walls.
- How many essential fatty acids are there? List some EFA deficiencies.
- There are 9 EFA's. Some deficiencies are eczema-like skin eruptions, loss of hair, liver degeneration, failure of wound healing, sterility, miscarriage, growth retardation.
- How are Omega 3 fatty acids beneficial?
- Omega 3 fatty acids decrease blood clots, blood pressure, inflammation
- How much fat should we consume?
- ~30% of our calories should come from fat, <10% should be saturated fat.
- What are the three components of a grain?
- Bran, endosperm, germ
- How much carbs should we consume?
- ~60% of calories should come from carbs. ~10-15% should be simple carbs of total kcal
- What are the fat soluble vitamins?
- A, D, E, K
- How many essential minerals are there? What are minerals used for?
- There are 17 essential minerals. Minerals are used for growth, maintenance and regulate body function.
You must Login or Register to add cards