Glossary of Intro to Western Music Final
Other Decks By This User
- What is a lied?
- A romantic song that is often performed in an intimate setting with piano accompaniment to voice with the text of a poem as lyrics.
- What is Gesamtkunstwerk?
- Wagner's "total artwork"- a blending of all forms of art with each form taking on qualities of another.
- What is rubato?
- A flexible rhythm that is more dependent upon the performer's preferences.
- What is chromaticism?
- Using the 12 notes of the chromatic scale liberally and equally.
- What is program music?
- Tells/traces story of poem nonvocally, expressed specific scenario or emotion- derives from program as a feature, a written narrative of what to expect from music that the audience is given beforehand.
- What does through-composed mean?
What does strophic mean?
- Through-composed means that there are different melodies for different stanzas in the poem of the song while strophic maintains the same melody throughout.
- What is a song cycle?
- A group of songs with common poetic theme or story connecting them.
- What is an idee fixe?
- An obsession, a recurring melodic theme that occurs throughout piece.
- What is the Dies irae?
- One of the most solemn and famous Gregorian chants called the "Day of Wrath" which was a centerpiece for the Masses of the Dead or Requiem Masses.
- What does bel canto mean?
- A feature of Italian romantic opera which emphasized the beauty of the voice
You must Login or Register to add cards