Glossary of Intro to Music: Chapter 1
Other Decks By This User
- the musical term for the quality of "highness" or "lowness" of sound. The wave's length.
- the rate of sound vibration
- how is frequency measured?
- in cycles per second
- the level of strength of sound vibrations, theamount of energy they contain and convey
- How is amplitude measured?
- in decibels
- the volume of sound, the loudness or softness of a musical passage.
- name the 6 levels of dynamics
- pp- pianisimo (very soft)
p- piano (soft)
mp- mezzo piano (medium soft)
mf- mezzo forte (medium loud)
f- forte (loud)
ff- fortissimo (very loud)
- Tone color
- or timbre are the terms for quality of music and sound
- (partials in science) fractional vibrations, a secondary vibration in a sound producing body, which contibutes to the tone color
- give examples of words that are used to describe tone color.
- bright, warm, ringing, hollow, or brassy
- the length of time we hear sound in minutes, seconds, or microseconds
- the aspect of music having to do with the duration of notes in time
You must Login or Register to add cards