Glossary of Intellectual Disabilities
- How are intellectual disabilities termed?
- mental retardation,
- What is intellectual disabilities?
- Developmental disorder
below avg IQ (intelligent quotient)
Deficit in 2 or more areas of ADLS
- Ways that may be used to test intellectual disability?
- IQ test
adaptive functioning: compare func w/typical child
mental age: std test
(SOMETIMES CAN'T BE TESTED)
- What is the avg IQ?
and What is within normal limits?
- Avg = 100
Normal Limit = 85 to 115
(however 90 and below will have diff w/reading & math)
- What are the 4 levels of MR? (give scores)
- Mild: 55 - 69
Mod: 40 - 54
Severe: 25 - 39
Profound: below 25
- When can the possible etiologies of MR occur?
- What are the prenatal causes to MR?
- GENETIC (chromosomal factors)
ACQUIRED (2ndry to teratogens, drugs, toxins maternal infections)
- What are the perinatal causes to MR?
- Anoxia or hypoxia during labor or the birthing process;
premature births which can cause RDS, apnea, hydrocephalus, risk of brain bleeds
- What are the postnatal causes to MR?
- Infections (meningitis or encepalitits)
- What are characteristics of mild MR?
- Read @ 4/5 grade level
Write simple letters
Do simple math
as an adult, can live alone
- What are characteristics of moderate MR?
- Write name
Read simple text/words
know home phone #
understand written #'s
understand basic concept of money
as adult, live w/supervision
- What are characteristics of severe MR?
- Require support in all areas of occ performance
Learn simple rules
May recognize own pic
May have physical disabilities such as CP, seizures, etc
- What are characteristics of profound MR?
- Has phys dis
Requires Max assist
May learn to comm
- What mental functions are impaired due to MR?
- What Language functions are impaired due to MR?
- recall/retrieve words
articulation, 2ndry to phys dis
- What behavioral/emotional functions are impaired due to MR?
- psychosocial dis (depression)
self-stimulating (hand flapping, biting, etc)
- What sensory functions are impaired due to MR?
- What movement related functions are impaired due to MR?
- delay of milestones
low MS tone
oral motor control
- What system functions are impaired due to MR?
You must Login or Register to add cards