Glossary of Integrated science
Other Decks By This User
- What is a cell?
- A cell is a unit of protoplasm surrounded by a cell membrane.
It is the building block which makes up living things.
A cell is very small.
- What other name is given to a living thing.
- A living thing is also called and organism.
some organisms are unicellular and others are multicellular.
- Give examples of Unicellular
- Unicellular: spira gyra and paramecium, amoeba
- Give examples of Multicellular.
- Multicelluar:humans, animals and insects.
- What determins the size of an organism?
- The number ofcells in it determins the size.
smaller organisims contain fewer/less cells than larger organisms.
- Name of an extremely high powered microscope.
- An electron microscope.
- Functions of the different organelles in a cell.
- cell wall gives the cell a fixed shape.
Supports cell, prevents it from bursting.
- Cell membrane
- Cell membrane controls what goes in and out of the cell.
It is selectively permeable.
- What is another name for the cell membrane?
- Plasma membrane.
- Chloroplast- contains chlorophyll which traps sunlight.
- How does the plant get its food?
- The energy from the plant is used for making food for the plant through the process of photosynthesis.
- The brain of the cell.
Contains chormosomes which carry the genetic information for the cell.
- Nucleolus manufactures ribosomes and RNA
- Ribonuelic Acid.
- Mitochondria-is the power house of the cell.
Energy from the food we eat is released from the mitochondria.
- Endoplasmic Reticulum
- Endoplasmic Reticulum is a network of membranes and channels.
site of synthesis of Lipids and fats.
It transports proteins made by the ribosomes.
- What are Lipids?
- fatty oily molecules=lipids.
- The site of protein synthesis
- What is synthesis?
- The building up of things.
- Golgi bodies
- Secretes substances needed by cells eg enzymes.
- Stores water
Blows up cell with water- gives it support.
Stores sugar, wastes and other substances in a solution called "cell soup"
- Chromatin Reticulum
- hromatin Reticulum-contians the DNA- molecule of inheritance.
- What is DNA?
- DNA- is organized into genes -controlls all cellular activities.
- Name the materials and conditions needed in photosynthesis.
- Materials-carbon dioxide,water
- Name the product and byproduct of photosynthesis.
- Who are consumers in the food chain?
- Consumers are organisms which depend directly or indirectly on plants for their energy.
- Give an example of a first order consumer and the food it eats.
- grasshopper,eats plants(herbivores)
- _________ consumers eat animals that have eaten other animals,they are ______.Give an example of this.
- _________ consumers eat animals that have eaten other plants,they are ______.Give an example of this.
- Secondary,carnivores,praying mantis.
- What do third order consumers eat and give an example of this?
- they eat animals which have eaten other animals,lizards.
- Who are omnivores?
- omnivores eat animals and plants.eg.humans
- Who are scavengers?
- animals which eat dead and decaying organisms.eg.earthworms
- They bring about dead organisms and wastes and release minerals and other materials to be reused by plants,they are..
- What are parasites?
- plants or animals feeding on living organisms.eg.tapeworm
You must Login or Register to add cards