Glossary of Human Anatomy Chapter 22
- Carry blood toward heart
- blood vesels that carry blood away from heart
- What are the 2 circuits of the heart?
- 1. Systemic
- Systemic Circuit
- Blood from Left Ventricle supplies the whole body.
- Pulmonary Circuit
- De oxygenated blood from Right ventricle goes to the lungs & back to Left atrium
- What are some charactersitics of the heart?
- - beats overs 100,000 times per day
-pumps 7600 L blood per day
-Mostly behind sternum
- What is the posteriorsuperior border of the heart called?
- What is the conical tip of the heart called?
- Where is the heart located?
- Inside the mediastinum & wrapped in pericardium
- Secures the heart to anchor it in place and prevent overfilling
- Fibrous pericardium
- -Outermost layer
-attached to diaphragm
-attached to great vessels on top
- Serous pericardium
- Inside fibrous pericardium
A double layered serous membrane
- What are the 2 layers of the Serous pericardium?
- 1.Parietal layer
3.In between the 2 layers is serous fluid
- What are the 3 layers of the heart wall?
- 1. Epicardium
- What do Auricles do?
- Increase atrial volume
make atria able to expand
- What does the Coronary Sulcus do?
- Separates atria from ventricles
- What does the Interventricular sulcus do?
- Separates Left and Right ventricles
- What are the 2 cicuits?
- 1. Pulmonary
- What is the pulmonary trunk?
- An artery that delivers blood to lungs (de-oxygenated)
- What do the pulmonary veins do?
- Blood returning from lungs
- Ascending Aorta
- Blood going to system
- Superior & inferior vena cava
- Blood returning from system
- Pectinate muscles
- ridges in wall of atria
- prevent backflow of blood
- R AV valve
- Between R atrium & R ventricle.
AKA: Tricuspid valve
- Papillary muscle
- Pull on chordae tendinae to prevent eversion of valve
- Trabeculae carne
- Muscular ridges of ventricular walls
- Pulmonary semilunar valve
- between pulmonary trunk & right ventricle
- Left AV valve
- Between L atrium & L ventricle.
AKA. Bicuspid or Mitral
- Aortic Semilunar valve
- Between L ventricle & aorta
- Interatrial septum
- Separates atria
- Interventricular septum
- Separates ventricles
You must Login or Register to add cards