Glossary of History Ch 19 2
Other Decks By This User
- The Great Debate of 1858 was between _________ and ________
- Lincoln - Douglas
- how many debates and when?
- seven debates that were arranged from August to October 1858
- in response to Lincoln's question about slavery..douglas's ______________ stated that no matter how the Supreme Court ruled, slavery would stay down if the people voted it down.
- Freeport Doctrine
- _____ won the senatorial election, but _______ won the popular vote
- Douglas, Lincoln
- In October 1859, John Brown seized the federal arsenal at _____________.
- Harpers Ferry
- To chose a candidate Democrats met in __________for election of 1860.and then again in _________.
- The _________________was formed by former Whigs and Know-Nothings. They nominated John Bell as their presidential candidate.
- Constitutional Union Party
- The Republican Party met in Chicago and nominated ___________ as their presidential candidate
- Abraham Lincoln
- ____________ won the election of 1860
- Abraham Lincoln
- In December 1860, South Carolina's legislature met in______________ and voted unanimously to secede. 6 other states joined South Carolina: . ___,___,___,___,___,___
Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas
- The 7 seceders met at ______________ in February 1861 and created a government known as the ___________________. The states chose _____________, a recent member of the U.S. Senate from Mississippi, as President.
- Montgomery, Alabama
Confederate States of America
- The ___________ to the Constitution were designed to appease the South. They said that slavery in the territories was to be prohibited north of 360 30', but south of that line was to be given federal protection in all territories existing or herby acquir
- Crittenden amendments
- after Brown was killed ___________of the U.S Marines took over.
- Robert E. Lee
- 4 men in the election of 1860___________
- Abraham Lincoln, Bell, Douglas, Breckinridge
- ________ painted Brown kissing a black child before going to his execution
- Horace Greenly
You must Login or Register to add cards