Glossary of Heart Disease
Other Decks By This User
- What is Heart Failure?
- Abnormal cardiac function; makes heart unable to pump blood at the rate necess. for metabolic tissue, or only if EDV is elevated.
- What causes heart failure?
- Heart attack.
- What is a heart attack?
- a Myocardial infarct, so O2 supply to the heart is inadequete.
- Is myocardial infarct an acute or chronic cause of heart attack?
- Acute. If left untreated, it is a chronic cause.
- How is the heart's WORK distributed?
- 90% is to develop pressure to pump sufficient blood volume.
10% is to develop kinetic energy.
- What are the 4 symptoms seen in LHF?
- 1. SOB
2. SOB with exertion
3. Can't sleep flat at night.
- What are the 2 symptoms seen with RHF?
- 1. dependent pitting edema
2. Weight gain.
- What is the most common cause of RHF?
- What is the most common cause of LHF? (important)
- What heart sounds are heard in heart failure?
- S3 and S4
S3 due to turbulent flow becuase of increased heartrate.
S4 due to increased dependense on atrial contraction.
- Why does heart failure cause jugular venous and hepatic-jugular distension?
- because the right atrial pressure is increased.
blood is backed up.
causes hepatomegaly too.
You must Login or Register to add cards