Glossary of Health(2) - Disorders
Other Decks By This User
- what is depression?
- feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or helplessness lasting longer than 2 weeks
- causes of depression
- chemical imbalance
guilt, appetite or sleep loss or gain, fatigue, insomnia,
- treatments for depression
- what is bi-polar disorder?
- cycling modd changes
extreme highs (manic) to extreme lows (depression)
- causes of bi-polar
- symptoms of bi-polar
- mania: excessive energy, racing thoughts, easily irritated, decreased need for sleep, unrealistic belief in themselves, poor judgement
- treatment for bi polar
- what is seasonal affective disorder?
- depression that occurs during the winder months, subsides in spring
- causes of seasonal affective disorder
- melatonin (sleep hormone) may cause depression, more is realised in winter (dark)
- symptoms of seasonal affective disorder
- same as depression
- treatmetn for seasonal affective disorder
- light therapy
- what is dysthymia?
- longer lasting, but much less intense depression
- causes of dysthymia
- chemical imbalance
- what is social phobia?
- characterized by an overwhelming anxiety and excessive self conciousness in everyday social situation
- causes of social phobia
- chemical imbalance, environment, genetics
- symptoms of social phobia
- intense anxiety, intense fear of being watched by others or being embarassed/humiliated, blushing, sweating, trembling, nausea, difficulty talking
- treatment for social phobia
- medication for anxiety, cognative behavioral therapy (changes disfunctional thoughts)
- what is obsessive compulsive disorder?
- intense, reccurant thoughts (obsession) and rituals (compulsions) which they feel they can not control
- causes of OCD
often accompanies: depression, eating/personality/anxiety disorders
- symptoms of OCD
- obessions: persistant fears that harm may come to a loved one, fear of contamination, excessive need to be perfect
compulsions: cleaning, counting, hoarding, washing, repeating phrases
- treatment for ocd
- medication, behavioral therapy
- what is schizophrenia?
- chroic severe brain disabling disease
- causes of schizo
- biological, genetic, combo of environmental genetics, exposure to viruses or malnutrition before birth, problems during birth itself, psychosocial factors (stressful environment)
- symptoms of schizo
- hallucinations (5 senses), delusion, paranoia, difficulty organizing thoughts, fall effect (no emotions, monotone), lack of pleasure in everyday life
- treatment for schizo
- anti physcotics (lots of side effects)
teach how to re socialize to fit into society
- what is PTSD?
- post tramatic stress disorder
anxiety disorder that can develop after a terrifying ordeal in which grave personal harm occured or was threatened (more than one month)
- what is the cause of PTSD?
- traumatic events: violent assaults, disasters, accidents, military combat
- symptoms of PTSD
- flashbacks, memories, nightmares, anniversaires, bad thoughts, emo numbness, sleep disturbances, irritablity, guilt, headaches, dizzyness
- treatments for PTSD?
- therapy, medication
- what is GAD?
- generalized anxiety disorder
constant, exagerated, worrisome thoughts about every day events and activities (atleast 6 months)
- caues of GAD
- genetics (worse during stressful times)
- symptoms of GAD
- alwasy anticipating the worst, fatigue, headaches, muscle tension, trembling, sweating, hot flashees, light headed/out of breathe, nausea/have to pee, difficulty concentration, trouble falling/getting to sleep, source of worry is hard to pinpoint
- treatment of GAD
- medication (anti-anxiety)
- person who is so focused on the needs of others that the person's own needs are neglected
- misguided helping, does harm by supporting a troubeled person's continued self destructive attitude or behavior
- extreme feeling of guilt that arises when a person internalizes mistakes
- the normal feeling that arises from the concsciene when a person acts againts internal values
- person with a graduate degree in phychology from a university, requires license
- has a MD additional training to deal, licensed to perscribe drugs
- social worker
- person with a graduate degree in social work and traning in counseling
You must Login or Register to add cards