Glossary of HPR Disease Lecture
Other Decks By This User
- How many people are infected with an STD each year?
- More than 12 million.
- What are the 2 different types of STDs?
- 1. Bacterial Infections
2. Viral Infections
- Describe bacterial infections.
- -Treatments are available, but with some cons.
-chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, & pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Describe viral infections.
- -No cure, treatment only reduces symptoms.
-genital herpes, HIV, & Human Papillomavirus
- How effective are latex condoms in preventing HIV?
- They are highly effective (when used correctly).
- List some Real Strategies of protecting yourself against STI's.
-get tested before sex
-mutually exclusive relationships
- What are the preventable cancers?
- Skin cancer (90%)
Lung cancer (87%)
- What is cancer?
- An abnormal & uncontrollable growth of cells or tissue that can lead to death if left untreated.
- What is a tumor? What are the 2 different kinds?
- A tumor is a mass of tissue that serves no purpose.
1. malignant tumor
2. benign tumor
- What is metastasis?
- The spreading of cancer cells.
- List the 6 types of cancer.
- 1. Lung-smoking, treatable.
2. Colon & Rectal-age is risk
3. Breast-exosure to estrogen
5. Testicular-undescended testicles.
6. Skin-exposure to ultraviolet rays of sun.
- What are some major risk factors for cardiovascular disease?
- -tobacco use
-high blood pressure
- List some ways to prevent CVD.
- -healthy diet
-stress & anger management
-controlled cholesterol & blood pressure
- What are some contributors to CVD?
- 1. Elevated triglyceride levels.
You must Login or Register to add cards