Glossary of Geography terms in geography coloring book
Other Decks By This User
- group of islands, or a body of water that has many islands in it
- A circular coral island that encloses a lagoon. Atolls are usually formed on top of submerged volcanoes
- a body of water that penetrates a costline. It is generally wider in the middle. it is usually smaller than than a gulf but larger than a cove
- A deep narrow depression in the earth's surface, often having a river running through it. Canyons are also known as gorges.
- A point of land extending into the sea. It is usually smaller than a peninsula. A mountainous cape is called a promontory or a headland.
- Continental divide
- The highest point of a continent, from which the direction of river flow is determined
- The triangular shaped land found at the mouth of some large rivers. so much soil is transported by the river that the coastal waters cannot wash it all away.
- An ocean inlet that merges with the mouth of a river. The estuary's salinity varies according to river flow and ocean tides
- A narrow, winding ocean inlet that penetrates a coastal mountain range. The steep cliffs that line its route make a fjord one of natures randest sights
- a river of ice, moving slowly down a mountain slope or outward from its central mass. it stops where the leading edge melts faster than the forward rate of movement
- a part of an ocean or sea that is partially enclosed by a curving coastline. A more fully enclosed body of salt water could be called a sea
- A body of land completely surrounded by water. Smaller than a continent
- A narrow strip of land, with water on both sides. that connects two larger land masses.
- A tall, flat-topped mountain with steep vertical sides. Erosion resistant mesas are left standing after all else has gone
- A mass of land almost entirely surrounded by water. It is usually connected to the main land by a narrow neck
- A broad expanse of generally high and flat land. also called a table land. Plateaus can reise up from a lover area, or can be level regions within a mountain range
- a narrow passage of water connecting two larger bodies of water.
- line that divide the earth into the north hemispere, south
You must Login or Register to add cards