Glossary of Geography Vocab Words Chapter 12
Other Decks By This User
- in anciet Greece, independent community consisting of a city and the surrounding lands.
- middle ages
- the period of European history from about A.D.500 to about 1500 A.D.
- in medieval Europe and Japan system of government in which powerful lords gave land to nobles in return for pledges of loyalty.
- series of religious wars in which Europe Christians tried to retake Palestine from Muslim rule.
- in Europe, a 300 year period of renewed interest in classical learning and the arts, beginning in the 1300's
- religious movement that began in Germany in the 1400's, leading to the establishment to Protestant churches.
- A movement during the 1700's emphasizing the importance of reason and questioning traditions and values.
- industrial capitalism
- an economic system in which business leaders use profits to expand their companies
- society based on equality in which workers would control industrial production
- A payment for damages
- the mass killings of 6 million Jews by Germany's Nazi leaders during World War II.
- Cold War
- power struggle between the Soviet Union and the United States after World War II
- European Union
- an organization whose goal is to unite Europe so the goods, services, and workers can move freely among member countries.
- Good Friday Peace Agreement
- paved the way for Protestant and Roman Catholic communities to share political power.
- artistic style emphasizing individual emotions that developed in Europe in the late 1700's and early 1800's as a reaction to industrialization
- artistic style portraying everyday life that developed in Europe during the mid-1800's
- welfare state
- nation in which the government assumes major responsibility for peoples welfare in area's such as health and education.
- ethnic group
- group of people who share the common ancestry, language, religion, customs, or combination of such characteristics
- ethnic cleansing
- the expelling from a country or killing of rival ethnic groups
- one who flees his or her home for safety
- the movement of people from rural area's into cities
You must Login or Register to add cards