Glossary of General Microbiology 2
Other Decks By This User
- what are the general requirements for specimen collection and transport?
- -Prior to antimicrobial drugs
-Avoid normal flora
-Acquire during acute phase
-Use proper collecting device
-Deliver to lab right away
-get enough background info
- What are the requirements for swab types?
- Use one of three types:
- What is safest swab type? Why?
-Cotton can have toxic fatty aa
-Calcium alginate kills herpes
- 3 types of holding media are and contain:
- 1. Sterile saline - non nutrient
2. Stuart's - buffered semi-solid
3. Amies media - charcoal
- What is the purpose of charcoal in holding media?
- it absorbs toxins to keep fastidious neisseria gonorrhoea alive.
- What are 2 types of special transport media, and for what?
- 1. Jembec - for gonorrhoeae
2. Regan lowe - for bordatella pertussis nasopharyngeal swabs.
- What does a jembec plate have?
- -Modified thayer martin
-CO2 tablet for enriched, capnophilic environment.
- When are swabs NOT preferred for specimen collection?
- -For anaerobic bacteria
-For UTI/stool specimens.
- What are 2 sterile container types?
- 1. Stuart's holding media
2. Cary-Blair media
- What is Cary-Blair used for?
- Holding/preserving a stool specimen to find bacteria when immediate culture not possible.
- 4 types of direct smear stains:
- What 2 things are noted when evaluating direct smears?
- -Number of bacteria
-Significance of host cells
- What is a variation gram stain, and why do it?
- -Methanol fixation - overlay slide with methanol to fix.
-To lyse RBCs and decrease background.
- What specimen is acridine orange used on?
- Blood cultures
- What is methylene blue used for?
- Fecal leukocytes
- Which prepared media are NOT exempt from quality control?
-Selective neisseria agars (TM, MTM, Lewis)
- What QC must be done on media prepared in house?
- -Sterility check
-Ability to support growth
-Ability to be selective
-Ability to give differential reactions
- Other than media, what else is QC run on?
-Antimicrobial suscept. testing
You must Login or Register to add cards