Glossary of GH 1
Other Decks By This User
- What is a Democracy?
- A government system where people make decisions directly or indirectly
- The U.S. is a? (3 things)
- Democracy, Republic, & Federal system
- Directly means you vote on _____?
- indirectly mean you vote on _______?
- not everything
- ______: Representatives that run government?
- Federal system is?
- Layered government. Shares responsibilities at different levels.
- What are the different levels of the federal system?
- 1. Federal (constitutional) - FBI
2. State - State patrol
3. Local - Sheriffs & Police
- The constitution was written by?
- James Madison
- What is the constitution/functions?
- Written document that is the framework for government.
-what we Can't and can do
- Separation of powers means that?
- All power doesn't rest in one place
- S.O.P. includes...
(separation of power)
- checks and balances
- The ability of each branch to assert control over each branch
- layered government... same as federal system
- judicial review
- ability of supreme court to rule on an action
- limited government
- tells government what cannot do.
* Congress cannot make a law that doesn't make us all equal.
- Conservative believes in?
- The defense, protection, and adherence of traditional values.
- Liberal advocates?
- The use of government to affect positive change in society.
- Conservatives would let people or not let people have a crude magazine?
- wouldn't allow
- Liberals would or wouldn't allow a crude magazine?
- would. Because people are expressing there freedom of speech.
- Radical is?
- An extreme liberal who advocates extreme change using extreme measures.
- Ultra conservative people who want to return society to an earlier system or way or doing something.
- Theocracy is ____ run
- Communists are about ________ taking control
- fascists: rights of people matter. TRUE OR FALSE
- FALSE: rights of people don't matter
- Totalitarian controlled by ______?
- controlled by government
- a government with a king
- what is a political party?
- a means of winning elections by pooling the votes of people with common interests and beliefs.
- 2 major parties in the US are?
- Republican and democrats
- why do we have 2 parties?
- Because it's a winner take all election system
- What do democrats believe in? more ____ to _____
- More moderate to liberal.
- Republicans believe in? more ________ to _______
- moderate to conservative
- change ---> no change = ___ --> ___
- Liberal (Left)----> Conservative (Right)
- political ideology is?
- the change ---> no change
- government by religion?
- A group of governments that control all aspects of life
- a gov. and economic system where the gov. owns all property and provides all services
- communism is a form of?
- a gov. where decisions are made by people voting. an over arching category that includes several types
- a democracy where people vote for representatives and they in turn select a prime minister
- a written document that defines what a country's government can and cannot do
- a gov. where people elect representatives
- a government where the rights of individuals are sacrificed in order to ensure the smooth operation of the country.
- fascism is also called
- people who advocate extreme change in society. ELF.
- people who want to defend traditional values
- people who would like to go back to an earlier way of doing things. extreme right wing.
- group beleives in using the government to affect positive changes in society.
- seven articles of the constitution are?
- L - Legislative
E - Executive
J - judicial
S - States & rights
A - Amendments
S - Supremcy clause
R - ratification
- which one of the following is not one of the five major ideas of the US constitution?
* Executive supremacy
* Separation of powers
* Limited government
* Judicial Review
- * Executive supremacy
You must Login or Register to add cards