Glossary of GENERAL CHEM
Other Decks By This User
- colligative properties
- physical properties - usually of dilute solutions.
only depend on #particles, it doesn't matter what those particles are.
- 4 basic colligative properties
- -Freezing point depression
-Boiling point elevation
- 2 types Electrochemical reactions
- 1. Spontaneous reactions that produce electrical energy
2. Nonspontaneous rctions that produce chemical change.
- conservation of charge
- charge cannot be created or destroyed.
- loss of electrons
- gain of electrons
- oxidation # of free elements
elements like N2, P4, S8, He
- Oxidation number of Hydrogen:
- When counterion is less electronegative, H is - (NaH, CaH2)
When counterion is more electronegative, H is + (HF, HCl)
- 2 types electrochemical cells:
- Galvanic (voltaic)
- Galvanic cells
- aka, voltaic.
- Type of reaction that occurs in
- site of Oxidation
vowels go together
- Site of reduction
Consonants go together
- electrochemical cell diagram rules
anode |anode soln||cathode soln |cathode
- most prominent characteristic of electrolytic cell reaction type:
- it is nonspontaneous, so requires energy input.
- amount of charge contained in a mole of electrons.
96,487 Coulombs/mol e- = one faraday
- electrode charge designations in
- Voltaic: anode is negative, cathode is positive.
Electrolytic: anions go to anode -its positive, cations go to cathode -its negative.
Both are still same in that Cathode is Red site, Anode is Oxid site.
You must Login or Register to add cards