Glossary of Flagellates
Other Decks By This User
- what is the name for the flagellates subphylum of amoeba?
- Subphylum Mastigophora
- What are the 5 species in subphylum mastigophora?
- Dientamoeba fragilis
- What is unique about Dientmoeba fragilis?
- It is an Amoebaflagellate - only has internal flagella none on the outside.
- What type of infection does D. fragilis cause?
- Enterocolitis when in large numbers
- What stage of D. fragilis is seen?
How big is it?
- only the troph - doesn't have a cyst.
- what are the characteristics of D. fragilis?
- -Rarely ingests RBCs
-app 55% w/ 2 nuclei, most w/ 1
-has Fragmented Karyosomes
- What is the flagellate amoeba you're most likely to see in the lab?
- Giardia lamblia
- what are the common names of giardia infections?
Backpacker's Disease - pick it up from drinking stream water
- What are two places you might see giardia?
What are hosts?
-Day care centers
Humans and many other animals
- what are the characteristics of the Giardia troph?
-2 Nuclei look like eyes
-4 pair of flagella
-axostiles down center
- what are the characteristics of the giardia cyst?
- 9-14 u
2-4 nuclei, congregate @ 1 end
Cytoplasm shrinks from cyst wall
Retains some troph structures
- what is the life cycle of giardia?
- 1 fully mature cyst will have 4 nuclei, this is infectious stage
2 trophozoites max can come from one cyst. they attach to the small intestine w/ sucking disk.
- what are the symptoms of giardiasis?
- -diarrhea and nausea
- one what 3 bases is giardia diagnosed?
- 1. morphological
- what's an enterotest?
- done when no cysts are shed in stool. Make person swallow a capsule on a string w/ 1g weight then pull back out w/ trophs attached.
- how is giardia treated and prevented?
- Treat: Metranidazole, Quinacrine
Prevent: filter water
- What is the intestinal commensal with flagella?
- Chilomastix mesnili
- what are the characteristics of chilomastix mesnili compared to giardia?
- -Fewer flagella
-1 single nucleus (not eyes) w/ off-center karyosome
-no axostiles, very vacuolated.
-SPIRAL GROOVE, CAUDASTYLE
- what are the characteristics of the Chilomastix mesnili cyst?
- -LOOKS LIKE A LEMON due to its Nipple End.
-Has a single nucleus w/ offcent karyosome and periph chromatin off to the side.
- what are the 3 trichomonad sps?
- Trichomonas hominis
- how are the trichomonads speciated?
- based on where they're found because each is found in a unique body site
- what's the general morphology of all the trichomonads?
- Only trophs - no cysts
1 nucleus, axostyle, Post/Ant flagella, Undulating membrane
- What is the new name for Trichomonas hominis?
Where is it found?
- Pentatrichomonas hominis
Commensal in the intestine
- What trichomonas is a commensal in the mouth?
- Trichomonas tenax
- What trichomonas causes STDs?
- Trichomonas vaginalis - #1 STD ni the world!
- What symptoms does T. vaginalis cause in
- 1/7 Females: vaginitis, itching, burning, possible discharge
- How is Trichomonas vaginalis diagnosed?
- -Symptoms seen
-Saline we mount
-Diamonds medium to view motility
- How is T. vaginalis treated?
-Personal hygiene/safe sex to prevent infection
- What 2 flagellates are commensals in the intestine (other than T. tenax)
- Enteromonas hominis
- What does Enteromonas hominis resemble?
- Trichomonas hominis, but E. is smaller about 7 u, and has both cyst/troph stages.
You must Login or Register to add cards