Glossary of Exam one of Medical-Surgical Nursing
Other Decks By This User
- Difference of the theories of stress
- Selye's theory-a non specific response of the body to any demand on it (negative or positive)
GAS theory-has three stages:
Alarm, Resistance and Exhaustion
events are appraised for their own meaning.
- Alarm Phase of GAS
- "Fight or Flight"
↑hr, ↑rr (blowing off CO2) ↑ Glycogenolysis (hyperglycemia)
*BLOOD RUNS TO MUSCLES*
bv constrict and pupils dilate
- Resistance Phase of GAS
- Physical health, # of stressors and coping strategies may affect amount of resistance
- Exhaustion Phase of GAS
- All energy for adaptation in exhausted
May return to Alarm Phase
May be terminal
- The four mediators to the impact of Stress as a stimulus
Sense of Coherence
Hassles vs. Uplifts
- Internal Locus of Control
- You drive life
[ goooood ;) ]
- External Locus of Control
- life drives you
[ wicked bad ]
- Primary and Secondary Appraisal
- Primary Appraisal-Assess to see if the situation is negative/dangerous
Secondary Appraisal-Assess teh resourse
- Specific antibodies are are made on lymphocytes when a foreign body enters.
- Allows for a quicker response during next exposure
- Ability to distinguish self from nonself
- Response slacks off to prevent damage to bodies own cells. In alergic pt-this mechanism is hard to do.
- Different organism & foreign material are attacked in the correct way to stop them.
You must Login or Register to add cards