Glossary of Essay Terminology
Other Decks By This User
- A piece of writing that gives your thoughts about a subject
- The first paragraph in an essay. Includes the thesis that is found at the end
- A middle paragraph in an essay. It develops a point you want to make that supports your thesis
- Body Paragraph
- The last paragraph in your essay. Sums up the ideas, and reflects on what you said in your essay.
- Concluding paragraph
- A sentence with a subject and opinion
- Thesis Statement
- THe process of getting your concrete details down on paper before you organize your essay into paragraphs
- Specific details that form the core of your body paragraphs. FACTS. PROOF. EVIDENCE. QUOTATIONS. ETC.
- Concrete Details
- Your opinion or comment about something- not concrete detail
- the first sentence in a body paragraph. Has a subject and opinion.
- Topic Sentence
- The last sentence in a body paragraph. It gives a finished feeling to the paragraph
- concluding sentence
- the step that is done after presriting and before the first draft of the essay. AN OUTLINE OF YOUR THESIS, TOPIC SENTENCE, ETC.
- Shaping the Essay
- The first versions of your essay
- The final version of your essay
- Final draft
- Responses and reactions to a partner's paper given in writing or in a writing group
- Peer response
- One sentence of concrete detail and two sentences of commentary. SMALLEST UNIFIED GROUP OF THOUGHTS THAT YOU CAN WRITE IN AN EXPOSITORY PARAGRAPH
- Blending concrete details and commentray in a body paragraph. You can do this after you master the format
- the ratio of 1 part concrete detail to 2+ parts commentary
You must Login or Register to add cards