Glossary of Eppy-Abnormal Psych
Other Decks By This User
- List the four levels of MR
- 1.Mild-(IQ 50-55 to 70
2. Moderate (IQ 35-40 to 50-55)
3. Severe (IQ 20-25 to 35-40)
4. Profound (IQ berlow 20-25)
- Associated features of MR
- Rare recessive gene syndrome -inability to metobolize the amino acid phenlalanine
- Down Syndrone
- Trisomy 21 extra Chromosome.
Characteristics Short crooked fifth finger slanted almond shaped eyes, large protuding tongue.
- Learning Disorders
- 2 or more SD between achievement and IQ scores.
- LD Prognosis
- Continues through life time
School dropout rate 1.5Xs average
improved prognosis w/early id
- LD Etiology
- ear infections (Otitis Media)
Hemispheric abnormalities-incomplete domancy and exposure to toxins
- What is theory I?
- Stanovich-1993 Reading Disorders =deficit in Phonolological (hearing) processing.
- Remediate processing deficits
One X One initial careful assessment
Social Cognitive skills beneficial.
- Communicatin D's-Stuttering
- disturbance in normal fluency
and time patterning of speech.
begins between 2-7 3x's more common in males
60% spontaneoulsy decrease by age 16
- Pervasive Developmental Disorders
- Abnormal funcitioning prior to 3
lack of eye c0ontact
oblivious to others
Echolalia speech (Echoing words and phrases of others
fascination with inanimate objects
sterotyped behaviors -hand flapping, rocking-spinning
- Impairment in Social Interaction
- at least 2 symptoms
absence of developmentally appropriate peer relationships
lack of social or emotional reciprocity
- Impairment in communicaitons
- Delay or total lack of development of spoken lang
impairment in ability to initiate or sustain conversation
stereotyped and repetitive use of lang or pecular lang.
- Preoccupation w/ stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest.
inflexible adherence to nonfunctional routines or rituals
stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms
persistent preoccupation w/ parts of objects.
- Autisic Associate Features
- 75% MR
Cognitive Skills uneven
above average on measures of auuditory rote memory, visual spatial abilities, mechanical skills
poor on measures of verbal comprehension, conceptial and abstract reasoning
4-54 X's more common in males
- early signs-lack of responsiveness tocaregivers
babies refuse to cuddle-do not smile 'look throught' people
best outcome ability to communicate verballyby 5 or 6 IQ over 70 later onset of symptoms.
- Neurological and neurochemical factors
EEG abnormalities in 40-65%
Elevated Serotonin, norepinephrine and dopemine levels
50-100 x's more high among siblings
- Retts Disorder
- characteristic patterns of symptoms following a period of normal development for 5 mos or >
Only in females
Head growth deceleration,loss of purposeful hand skills nad stereotypical hand movements.
You must Login or Register to add cards