Glossary of English II Exam
Other Decks By This User
- A Phrase used in place of something else.
eg: Bone Cage = Ribs
Whale Highway = Ocean
- A statement that doesn't make sense at first because of the two opposites in it but makes deeper sense.
Fair is Foul, and Foul is Fair
- Dramatic Irony
- When the Audience knows something the characters don't.
- One Person talking to them self.
- One person talking to the audience/ reader.
- Metaphysical Poet
- A poet who talks about sophisticated things such as astronomy.
eg: Andrew Marvell + John Donne + Robert Herrick
- Iambic Pentameter
- 10 beats per line, 5 stressed and 5 unstressed syllables
- Italian Sonnet
- ABBA ABBA Rhyme Scheme
- Shakespearian Sonnet
- ABAB CDCD Rhyme Scheme
- Prose/ Verse
- Everyday Talking/ Writing with meter.
- Carpe Diem
- Seize the Day Poets
eg: Queen Elizabeth + Andrew Marvell
- In Media Res
- In the Middle of Things
- The King of the Geats who fights with excessive pride.
- Danish King
- Taunts Beowulf because of his loss in a swimming challenge.
Gives him his sword.
- The Monster who Beowulf defeats first.
- Beowulf most trusted fighter
- Unferth's Sword
- Hrothgar's Wife: The first woman mentioned in English literature.
- The Wife of Bath
- 5 husbands, deaf in one ear, feminist
- The Pardoner
- Greedy pardon who sells pardons and relics.
- The Prioress
- Bad manners with a soft heart
- The Parson
- A virtuous character who talks about the 7 deadly sins
- The Knight
- Noble, Modest, Rusty Armor, Fights for himself
- The Squire
- The knights son. A novice warrior into love
- The Cook
- Bad person who squeezes pus out of his knee onto his special dish
- The Monk
- Tells sad stories
- The Friar
- Talks about bad summoners.
- The Miller
- Drunk shouting guest who mocks the reeve
- The Reeve
- A Carpenter who's tale mocks the miller
- The Summoner
- Takes bribes and goes around to bring people to church court.
- Sir Gawain
- Steps up to the plate to cut off the Green Knights Head
- Green Knight
- Gets his head cut off in a challenge to King Aurthur's Court
- Bad Main Character whos lust for power causes him to kill everyone in his way
- Lady Macbeth
- Bad woman who persuades Macbeth to kill
- King who is murdered by Macbeth
- The father of Kings to Come
- Duncans Son. Flees to Ireland
- Duncans son who flees to england.
- Family is murdered by Macbeth so he kills Macbeth
- Drunk doorkeeper who hints that Macbeth's castle is hell.
- The Weird Sisters
- The 3 Witches who tell prophecies
- Tells Macbeth Lady Macbeth is dead.
- Norman Conquest
- 14-15th Century
- Chaucer writes Canterbury Tales
- 16th Century
- Renaissance- Shakespeare writes Macbeth
- Beowulf Manuscript is written
- Date of Original Beowulf
- Romans Left England
You must Login or Register to add cards