Glossary of English Final Miss Breen Semester 2 2006 English 1
Other Decks By This User
- What is an epic poem?
- long narrative poem about the deeds of gods or heroes
- What is an epic hero?
- the central character in a long poetic tale of adventure- usually undertakes a very dangerous voyage, demonstrating traits that are valued by the society in which the epic originates
- What is character development?
- The ways a character grows throughout the book
- What is foreshadowing?
- Hints in the plot that point to a future event in the book
- What is plot?
- The storyline of a book
- What is sensory detail?
- Description using the five senses; taste, touch, smell, hearing, sight
- Name the order of the five paragraph essay:
- introduction paragraph, 1st body paragraph, 2nd body paragraph, 3rd body paragraph, conclusion paragraph
- What are are the four main sentences in an introduction paragraph of an essay?
- 1) Hook 2) title of book, author, and era book was written 3) Brief Summary of book (mentioning main character) 4) Thesis statement of essay
- What is a hook?
- An attention grabber that opens a paragraph or an essay
- What are the four types of hooks?
- Question, quotation, fact, story (anecdote)
- What is a concrete detail?
- Fact from the book, usually accompanied by a quotation from the book
- What is a blended quotation?
- A quotation from the book smoothly put into context with your own words
- What is the purpose of a commentary sentence?
- To explain why your concrete detail proves the theme of your paragraph
- How many commentary sentences are needed for each concrete detail?
You must Login or Register to add cards