Glossary of English 8 Short Story Unit
Other Decks By This User
- A figure of speech that uses exaggeration to emphasize strong feeling or to create comic or satiric effects.
- The feeling or atmosphere that an author creates in a literary work.
- An object, a person, a place or an experience that represents something else, usually something absract.
- The sequence of events in a literary work.
- When the complications, twists, intesification of the conflict occur.
- Rising Action
- Logical result of conflict and climax.
- Falling Action
- The central character in a literary work around whom the main conflicts occur.
- The main idea or message of a literary work. It may be directly stated but more often it is implied.
- Words used for descriptive effect, often to imply ideas indirectly. They are not literally true.
- Figurative Language
- An implied camparison between things that have something in common but are essentially unlike.
- A refrence in a work of literature to a character, place, or situation from another work of literature, music, art, history, mythology, or the bible.
- A figure of speech in which human characteristics are assigned to nonhuman things, or life is attrubutied to inanimate objects.
- A person or force in society or nature that opposes the central character in literary work.
- The final outcome is revealed.
- Emotional highpoint of the literary work.
You must Login or Register to add cards