Glossary of English 2 First Semester Exam
Other Decks By This User
- mechanical hound
- threat of technology
- self reflection
- the sand and the seive
- retnetion of knowledge
- burning bright
- destruction of city
- parlor walls
- mind control
- the pheonix
- hope emits destruction
- the hearth and the salamander
- two faced montag
- snakes and beetles
- adult/seeing clearly
- order/sound and silence
- evin in everyone
- Weasel Word
- Modifiers that tend to negate the claim that follows.
helps, like, virtually, can be, up to, as much as, tackles, fights, resists, the feel of, the look of, looks like
- Unfinished Claim
- ad claims the product is better or has more of something but does not finish the comparison.
Magnavox gives you more. Supergloss does it with more color, more shine, more sizzle, more.
- "We're Different and Unique"
- states simply that there is nothing else quite like the product advertised
There's not other mascara like it. Olny Doral has this unique filter system.
- "Water is Wet"
- Say something about the product that is true for any brand in that product category.
Mobil: the Detergent Gasoline. Rheingold, the natural beer. Great Lash greatly increases the diameter of every lash.
- "So What"
- kind of cliam to which the careful reader will react by saying, "so what?" claim is made which is true but gives no real advatage to the product.
Campbell's give you not one but two chicken stocks. Geritol has more than twice the iron of ordianty supplements.
- Vague Claim
- simply not clear. often usues weasel words nd overlaps with other claim categories. key to vaue claim is the use of the words that defy exact verifictaion.
Lips have never looked so luscious. Its deep rich lather makes hair feel new again.
- Endorsement or Testimonial
- celebrity or authority appears to lend some of his magic powers to the product
- Scientific or Statistical Claim
- uses scidetific proof, very specific numbers or impressive sounding words or ingredients.
Wonder bread helps build stong bones in 12 ways. Special Morning=33% more nutrition.
- "Compliment the Consumer"
- flatters the potentional customer.
We think cigar smokers are somebody specila. You've come a long way baby. You pride yourself on good home cooking. The lady has taste.
- Name Calling
- Descreditting a person or a product by putting down; negetive name or product.
Subway vs. Quiznos
Coke vs. Pepsi
- Plain folks
- Identify with commmon everyday people
- Band wagon
- Everybody's doing it
- Identify product w/ culture and family
Identify product w/ sale
- Card Stacking
- present only selected facts
You must Login or Register to add cards