Glossary of English 1.5
Other Decks By This User
- a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one)
"Yes, Momma," was Gloria's unenthusiastic ~.
- imperatively: in an imperative and commanding manner
asked insistently and ~ to see "the whale."
- matter-of-fact: not fanciful or imaginative
On a more ~ level, Mrs. Weston took her to department stores...
- conduit that carries a rapid flow of water controlled by a ~gate
the ~ opened and the flood of explanation poured forth again
- great coolness and composure under strain
Powell's artificial ~ was shaken.
- spread gradually
After a few years of this system, the results ~ through to my office.
- a comedy characterized by broad satire and improbable situations
This has gone far enough. You're going to pay for this ~.
- with extreme care or delicacy
He handed it ~, for it was the most complicated creation of man.
- inclined to a healthy reddish color often associated with outdoor life
Donovan's ~ face drained of blood as he pointed a shaking finger.
- guided by whim and fancy
There's nothing ~ or prima donna about you.
- full of indignant ill will
He felt ~.
- hastly: shockingly repellent; inspiring horror
They wheeled and turned in ~ simultaniety.
- able to deal authoritatively with affairs
Under the force of her ~ gesture.
- disdainfully or ironically humorous; scornful and mocking;
The psychologist cast a ~ glance at him.
- someone who demands exact conformity to rules and forms
No ~ in the system could have put as much spit and polish into a surface as those robots had.
- only partly in existence; imperfectly formed
From what he experienced then to ~ paranoia was but a step.
- in a set manner without serious attention
The day after Byerley was nominated ~.
- incipient: only partly in existence; imperfectly formed
It competed against the ~ mob howl.
- # a sudden short attack
# an initial attempt (especially outside your usual areas of competence); "scientists' ~ into politics"
Kasim's ~ into computer MIT computer science.
- to become filled to overflowing
"~ing with anger"
"The new plant was ~ing with insects."
- obscurity of sense
Skinny can result in strange-looking SQL queries and data dictionary ~.
- buttery: unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech
- a feeling of deep regret (usually for some misdeed)
- clique: an exclusive circle of people with a common purpose
You must Login or Register to add cards