Glossary of English9 Finals: Grammar
Other Decks By This User
- What is a simple sentence?
- Made up of 1 IC
The fish swam.
- What is a compound sentence?
- Made up of 2 IC.
My sister biked, and I walked.
- What is a complex sentence?
- Made up of 1 IC + 1 or more DC.
Because I like lacrosse, I am on the team.
- What is a compound-complex sentence?
- Made up of 2 IC and 1 or more DC.
Eventhough it was raining, I went outside and I played lacrosse.
- What is a main (independent) clause?
- Group of words that express a complete thought or idea, includes a subject and a verb.
- What is a subordinate (dependent) clause?
- Subject and verb, not a complete idea, introduced by subordinating conj.
Because it was raining, ....
- What are particples?
- as an adj or adv
ending in -ing, -ed
- What are gerunds?
- as a noun instead of a verb.
I like swimming?
- What are infinitives?
- = to+verb
to run, to spin
- What is a noun clause?
What are the questions asked for a noun clause?
- -Acts as a subject or direct object in a sentence.
-Kelley is a hero. (what I need) to replace
- What is a Adj Clause?
- -usually follows a noun
-What kind? Which one? How many?
- The boy who is tall, can touch the lights. ( who is tall is the adj clause)
- What is an adv clause?
- -comes at beginnig of sentence followed by a comma.
- Whenever it rains, I use my umbrella.
You must Login or Register to add cards