Glossary of Electrochemistry
Other Decks By This User
- Oxidation State
- Equal to the charge of an ion or to the charge an atom would have if the compounds were ionic, represents the degree of oxidation of an element.
- Loss of electrons, process in which the oxidation state of an element decreases.
- Gain of electrons, process in which the oxidation state increases
- Disporportionate Reaction
- A reaction in which a substance undergoes both oxidation and reduction.
- Oxidizing/Reducing Agent
- an element whose oxidation state increases/decreases; gain/loss of electrons.
- Electrode Potential
- Measure of electric charge density on an electrode where oxidation/reduction occurs
- Electrode where oxidation occurs
- Electrode where reduction occurs
- Galvanic cell
- Electrochemical cell that produces electricity as a result of a spontaneous reaction.
- Free Energy
- Portion of total energy that can be used for work.
- Degree of disorder within a system.
- Amount of internal energy in a system capable of doing work.
- Deterioration of a substance through unwanted oxidation
- Sacrificial Anode
- the active metal in cathodic protection, one being oxidized.
- Cathodic Protection
- Process of coating an active metal such as magnesium to an object in order to protect it from oxidation
- Forcing of a non-spontaneous reaction to occur.
You must Login or Register to add cards