Glossary of Earth Science Test
- Shape of Earth's orbit.
- The three main features of the moon are ______,________,_________.
- high lands, Maria, and craters
- When the sun is directly over this an equinox occurs.
- _______ occurs when the sun reaches its greatest distance north or south of the equator or whe the North Pole is turned 23.5 degrees towards the sun.
- Discuss the four different evolution theories about the moon.
- - Co-Accretion- The moon formed the same way the earth did by the same super nova
- Fission- Moon split off from Earth
- Cature- Moon was formed else where and then captured by our gravity
-Impact- Moon was giant asteroid that was size of Mars and hit earth. Pacific?
- Longest day in the Northern Hemisphere is called the_____________
- Summer Solstice
- The broad, smooth lowland plains on the moon are called
- At _________, the point of the moon's orbit is farthest from earth.
- Does the moon have an atmosphere?
- Our planet is at a _________ angle.
- Name at least one planet that does not have a season.Why?
- Mercury, Venus, or Jupiter. Because they are not on a tilt.
- The moon rotates on it's axis every_____
- WWhich way does the earth rotate?
- - "sun and stop"
- sun reaches highest point in sky
- Summer Solstice
- - longest day in Northern Hemisphere
- shortest day in Southern Hemisphere
- Winter Solstice
- - shortest day in Northern Henisphere
- longest day in Southern Hemisphere
- Why do stars shine?
- In the core of a star hydrogen fuses with helium in a process called nuclear fusion.
- Name all 7 continents in alphabetical order and generally classify them.
- 1. Africa- 2nd largest, Mt.Kilimanjaro- highset stand alone mountain
2. Antarctica- 5th largest, large plateau, South Pole, most of fresh water, coldest, no countries, highest elevated.
3. Asia- Largest, largest plateau (Tebettin Plateau), dead sea (lowest), largest mountain.
4. Australia- smallest, 1 country, Ayers Rock
5. 2nd smallest, Alps (eurasian melanesian)
6. North America- 3rd largest, Rocky Mountains (Circum Pacific Belt), Death Valley, Mt. Mckinley
7. South America- largest Rain Forest, longest mountain system: Andes (Circum Pacific Mountain Belt)
- Name the eight phases of the moon.
- New Moon, Waxing Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibous, Full Moon, Waning Gibous, Last Quarter, and Waning Crescent.
- Name the Five classification types of stars.
- Giant, Super Giaint, Main Sequence (90%), White Dwarf, and Neutron.
- Sketch the 7 atomspheric layers and key features at each layer.
- 1.troposphere-all the weather
2.stratosphere-jet stream, ozone: 32km
3.Mesosphere-meteors destroyed, coldest
4.Ionosphere-ions and radio waves
6.Thermosphere-uppermost layer, hottest
You must Login or Register to add cards