Glossary of Denby's C9B EAWS Common Core
Other Decks By This User
- What does the term "aircraft handling" mean?
- A generalized term to describe any movement of A/C or associated equipment.
- What is the purpose of standard A/C taxi signals?
- A method of signals used by all branches of the military so as to prevent any misunderstanding between groundcrew of one branch and the aircrew of another.
- What are the vehicle speed limits on the flightline and around the A/C?
- Within A/C................5mph
Along runways, ramps and work areas....................10mph
- What is the maximum towing speed of an A/C?
- As fast as the slowest walker.
- What are the four categories of tie down requirements?
- 1) Initial
4) Heavy Weather
- What is the purpose of the Emergency Shore Based Recovery Equipment/
- It is designed to arrest the A/C safely and without harm to the crew or further damage the A/C. Used in situations such as blown tires or an incapacitated crew.
- What is the purpose of the MA-1A overrun barrier?
- It is an arresting system made up of a cable system and a net barrier. It's designed for use on non tailhook equipped A/C but the A/C must have a nosewheel to work.
- What situation would warrent the use of the MA-1A Overrun Barrier?
- An aborted take-off or an emergency overrun landing.
- What are 3 other designations of overrun equipment that the Navy uses?
- E-5, E-28, and M-21.
- During routine maintenance, what is the minimum amount of PPE that is required on the flight line?
- It depends upon the assessed hazard that is present.
- What is the minimum amount of PPE that is required on the flight line during flight operations?
- Cranial, goggles, sound attenuators, flight deck boots, flotation gear, survival light, whistle, jersey of appropriate color depending upon the position of the individual.
- What color jersey do Plane Captain wear?
- What is the safety hazard of the intakes?
- Extreme suction.
- What is the safety hazard of the exhaust?
- Intense heat
High velocity (will blow you off of the flight deck)
- What is the safety hazard of propellers?
- What is the safety hazard of rotor blades?
- What is the safety hazard of hot brakes?
- How are runways numbered?
- In relation to their magnetic heading rounded off to the nearest 10 degrees. (250 degrees will be marked as runway 25.
- If there are 3 runways whose centerline is parallel how will they be identified?
- Left (L) Center (C) and Right (R)
- If a runway is 200 feet wide how will the threshhold markings appear?
- 10 stripes (each 12 feet wide by 150 feet long)
- If a runway is less than 200 feet wide how will the threshhold markings appear?
- The markings will cover the width of the runway minus 20 feet on each side.
- What is the purpose of the threshhold markings?
- They designate the landing area.
- What publication contains the procedures for the operation of operation of airpoirt lighting?
- FAA Handbook 7110.65
- At an airport who is normally in control of the lights?
- The tower.
- When an air field is closed what are the only lights left on?
- 1) Navigable airspace obstruction lights.
2) Rotating beacons used as a visual orientation aid in a metropolotian area.
- What is the purpose of runway/taxi lights?
- To provide visual guidance at night and under low visibility conditions during A/C takeoff/landing operations.
- What color are taxi lights?
- When you find 2 blue lights spaced 5 feet apart and placed on each side of a taxiway entrance/exit from a runway or a parking area what are they known as?
- Entrance-Exit Lights
- When are taxi lights turned on?
- As soon as the pilot of an A/C is given clearance to taxi out.
- When are the taxi lights turned off?
- When the aircraft is on the runway or another taxiway.
- When an A/C is inbound when are the taxi lights turned on/off?
- As the A/C approaches the taxiway and turned off when the A/C is parked.
- What is the purpose of the Arm/Dearm Area?
- Designated area where ordinance is changed from armed to disarmed and vice versa.
- Until the ordinance is completely safe what area around the A/C should be kept clear?
- Fore and Aft
- All evolutions concerning ordinance should be performed using what?
- The Individual Stores loading Manual/Checklist
- What is the purpose of the Overrun Area?
- Provides a reasonably effective decelleration area for abortin or overshooting A/C.
- What other purpose can the Overrun Area serve?
- Emergency all weather access for firefighting, crash and rescue equipment.
- What is a good indication of a Overrun Area?
- Usually paved and some have yellow chevrons across them.
- What do yellow chevrons on a runway indicate?
- That the area is a non-touchdown area for the A/C.
- What is the purpose of the Wind Indicator?
- Meant to provide prompt issuance of wind directions and velocities to pilots.
- What is the purpose of the Airfield (airport) Rotating Beacon?
- Use in VFR weather conditions it identifies the airfields position. Used day and night.
- When viewed from above what direction is the Airfield Rotating Beacon rotating?
- What is the flash rate of the Airfield Rotating Beacon?
- 12-15 Flashes per Minute. (Rotates at a constant speed)
- What does the Tower Visual Communication device consist of?
- A sequence of lights and switches that supplement other circuits on the interphone system.
- What is the purpose of the Tower Visual Communication device?
- Meant to reduce the amount of voice contacts between the tower and the radar controller.
- The Crash, Salvage and Rescue Team falls under what shipboard orginazation?
- Damage Control
- Where is the Crash, Salvage and Rescue Team deployed from onboard ship?
- From the island structure.
- What is another name for the Crash, Salvage and Rescue Team?
- Flight deck Repair Team
- What is the purpose of the Crash, Salvage and Rescue Team?
- Rescue personnel from damaged A/C on the flight deck, clear away wreckage, fight fires on and make minor repairs to the flight deck and associated equipment.
- What is a Compass Calibration Pad?
- A paved area in a magnetically quiet area the A/C compass can be calibrated.
- Each airport must have at least how many Compass Calibration Pads?
- What is the expansion rate of LOX?
- 860 to 1.
- How cold is LOX?
- -297 degrees F
- What color is LOX?
- Light blue
- In what condition must the LOX exchange area be kept in at all times?
- Completely free of flammable or combustible materials such as wood, paper, cloth, oil or kerosene.
- What is the LOX exchange area?
- A designated area which is used for the servicing of A/C that require LOX servicing.
You must Login or Register to add cards