Glossary of Court Cases
Other Decks By This User
- What court case established judicial review?
- Marbury v. Madison
- What court case dealt with the right to burn the flag?
- Texas v. Johnson
- What court case involved students wearing black armbands to protest the Vietnam War?
- Tinker v. DesMoines
- What court case dealt with a principal censoring a student newspaper?
- Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier
- What was the result of the case Engle v. Vitale?
- Individual rights increased. The supreme court ruled that school prayer violated the establishment clause.
- What was case Gideon v. Wainright about?
- You have the right to have a lawyer appointed to you if you cannot afford one.
- What are Miranda rights and what was the case called?
- Miranda rights are your fifth amendment rights of due process where you must be read all of your rights before you are arrested. The case was Miranda v. Arizona.
- What was the ruling in West Virginia v. Barnette?
- The Jehovas' witnesses could not be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance. They ruled that it would be against the establishment clause to force them. This case made the Pledge optional.
- What was the ruling in the case NJ v. T.L.O?
- It was legal to search a students' bag without a warrant.
- What was the ruling in the Board of Education v. Pico?
- The schools could not censor books. The supreme court forced the schools to stop banning books.
- What was the issue in the case West Virginia v. Barnette?
- The Jehovas' witnesses felt that it was against the establishment clause to force them to say the pledge of allegiance.
- What did Schenk v. US establish?
- The fact that freedom of speech and the press can be limited if there is a clear and present danger.
- Were the rights to freedom of assembly increased or decreased in the Skokie vs. Illinois case?
- How did the Supreme Court rule in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896)?
- The Supreme Court ruled that separate, but equal facilities were O.K. Meaning: it was alright if you separated blacks from whites on the railroad cars. As long as there is equal access, everything was fine.
- How did the court rule on Brown v. Board of Education?
- The Supreme Court ruled that separate, but equal facilities were not ok. They said it was not alright to force blacks and whites to go to separate schools.
- Which earlier Supreme Court case did Brown v. Board of Education overturn?
- Plessy v. Ferguson
You must Login or Register to add cards