Glossary of Colonial Life
Other Decks By This User
- Other Countries and land
- some received land for free w/ headright
bought land or had land grants from king
some settled in a frontier(edge of settled area)boundry of settled wildlife
squatters- people who cleared a tract of land, and made own.
- Rights of Col. American women
- when married husband/ pay passage
kept by law and custom
could not own property
If made $ husband own
- widespread of land and affect
- women could not vote
men who owned land were wealthy
you must have land!
- Items found in town
- Fine english cloth, chinawear, tea from India, wine and molasses.
- Effects of New England and Virgina river economy
- pop. spread out on farms
few towns buying and selling
land between rivers/untouched
live along rivers to trade so spread out!
Wide, deep, smooth rivers which are good for big ships!
- Massachusetts and New England land
- legislature gave tracts of land/wanted to found towns
cleared land and divided
the rest(town property)
- Jobs of women
- Keeping house, having kids, farm chores, making clothing, teach kids, and tend to the sick.
- Americans owning land
- high wages/cheap land
(lots)land vs. (few) people
- Health of Women
- constant kids, made mom die early.
- Largest town and economis base
- Boston, New York, Charlestown, Philadelphia, New Port.
Seaports- sea trade and ship-buidling.
- Education in the South
- not much education
unless wealthy could hire tutors
- Grandchildren begin voting
- landowners dominated
considered voting a right(can not be taken away)!
- Affects of large land and attidues & family.
- needed large families
had to be open-minded
needed to experiment
had plenty of food
wanted lots of kids(8 or 9)
- Rural Town/ where and how did col. Americans live
- farmed, wore thread, made furniture, knives, spoon, plates/
lived in towns(urban areas)
- New England and Rivers
- shallow, full or rapids, smaller
ships could not sail up
coastal towns were large(sea ports)
had to build roads
- American Labors Treatment
- earned more $ and treated better
more workers b/c of Unused Land
Boss needs you!
- New England and towns
- settlers remain close
town common- the vil. built their church, meeting house, and school!
outside,village crops grown
- Learned to handle guns
ran large farms
run newspapers, lawyer.
You must Login or Register to add cards