Glossary of Colonial History
Other Decks By This User
- What are the FOUR New England Colonies?
- Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island
- What are the FOUR Middle Colonies?
- New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware,
- What are the FIVE Southern Colonies?
- Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia
- Who founded Georgia?
- James Oglethorpe
- Which American products sold well in Europe?
- raw materials (indigo, cotton, tobacco, furs, lumber, iron)
- Who had the idea to begin the colony of Maryland?
- George Calvert
- Who was the fiery Dutch governor who did not want to surrender to the British?
- Peter Stuyvesant
- What was John Mason's colony?
- New Hampshire
- What was the city settled by Thomas Hooker?
- What ship brought the first settlers to New Hampshire?
- New Hampshire was forced to become part of what colony for several years?
- The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut became a pattern for what?
- the United States Constitution
- Who went to England to get a charter for Rhode Island?
- Dr. John Clarke
- Who escaped from Massachusetts and founded Providence?
- Roger Williams
- Who was beaten with a whip for preaching in Massachusetts?
- Obadiah Holmes
- What three countries claimed New York?
- Holland, France, & England
- Why did England have a claim on New York?
- Because John Cabot claimed ALL of North America for England
- Who gave New Jersey its name?
- Sir George Carteret & John Berkeley
- What fort did the Swedish people build to defend themselves?
- Fort Christina
- What was the main settlement in Pennsylvania, personally designed by William Penn?
- What does Philadelphia mean?
- City of Brotherly Love
- What were the large farms in the Southern Colonies called?
- Who was hired to explore New York for the Dutch?
- Henry Hudson
- Who explored northern New York for France?
- Samuel de Champlain
You must Login or Register to add cards