Glossary of Climates 2
Other Decks By This User
- What is a rain shadow?
- an area where very little rainfall occurs on the leeward side of a mountain.
- The top layer called the ___________ has super high temperatures due to ________
- Thermosphere, x-rays
- What is stream discharge?
- the amount of water passing a given point in a stream in a certain period of time.
- What is humid?
- If the total annual precipitation is greaer than the potential evapotranspiration.
- What is arid?
- If the total annual precipitation is less than the potential evapotranspiration.
- what three things can Insolation (incoming solar radiation)do when it enters the atmosphere?
- absorbed, reflected, and scattered
- Most absobtion of ultraviolet and infared radiation takes place where?
- stratosphere and troposphere
- What are aerosols
- water droplets, ice crystals, air polutants, amd dust
- What is potential evapotranspiration?
- the amount of water that would evaporate or transpire if the water were available.
- What is a water budget?
- a monthly account of what happens to the water in a particular location over the course of a year.
- Potential evapotranspiration is highest in the ________ whan the temperatures are ___________.
- summer, higest
- What is the most important factor affecting climate patterns? why?
- latitude, because it because latitude influences temperature patterns.
- What is base flow?
- During dry periods, when the amount of runoff diminishes, a base flow is when a stram takes water from the ground water supply thus lowering the water table.
- Which heats up and cools down faster: land or water? why?
- land heats and cools faster because water has a much higher spacific heat than land
- What would happen if the amount of carbon dioxide in the air was increased?
- the earths temperature would rise and eventually the ice caps would melt flooding costal cities world wide
- Any material that is a good absorber is a good _________
- In the statosphere, the temperature ____________ with altitude.
- the top portion of each layer ends in a ...pause. What are the four pauses?
- Tropopause, stratopause, mesopause, and thermopause
- What two elements are good absorbers of infared radiation?
- water vapor and carbon dioxide
- What is terrestrial radiation?
- electromagnetic energy given off by the surface of earth.
- What object reflects most insolation?
- What is the Greenhouse effect?
- the process that allows short- wave radiation to be transmitted but which absorbes reradiated, long- wave radiation and transforms it to heat energy
- Name the four distinct layers of the atmosphere
- Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, and Thermosphere
- Water vapor and carbon dioxide absorb which type of infared radiation?
- long- wave
- Where is the troposhere located and what occurs here?
- it is closest to the earths surface and earths weather occurs in the troposphere.
- Precipitation occurs on which side of the mountain?
- windward side
- IN areas away from large bodies of water, which have cold winters, hot summers, and large temp. range are said to have a _____ cliamte
- locations where temperatures are modified by the presence of large bodies of water are said to have a_______climate
- As elevation increases, the ________ and saturation vapor pressure ______________
- temperature, decrease
You must Login or Register to add cards