Glossary of Classic Kitchen Staff
Other Decks By This User
- Chef, or chef de cuisine
- Responsible for all kitchen operations, developing menu items and setting the ketchen's tone and tempo.
- The under chef or second chef who is the principal assistant to the chef de cuisine responsible for scheduling personnel and replacing station chefs as needed. Also functions as the expediter/announcer.
- The expediter or announcer who accepts the orders from the dining room, relays them to the various station chefs and then reviews the dishes before service.
- Chefs de partie
- Station chefs who produce the menu items and under direct supervision of the chef or sous-chef.
- The sauté station chef who holds one of the most demanding jobs in the kitchen, is responsible for all sautéed items and most sauces.
- The fish station chef, responsible for fish and shellfish items and their sauces. This position is occasionally combined with the sauce station.
- Grill station chef responsible for all grilled items.
- Fry station chef responsible for all fried items.
- Roast station chef responsible for all roasted items and jus or other related sauces. The grill and fry stations are sometimes subsumed into the roast station.
- Soup station chef reponsible for soups and stocks.
- Vegetable station chef responsible for all vegetable and starch items.
- Chef whose station combines the potager & legumier handling vegetables, fruits, fritters or sweet items called entremets.
- Pantry chef responsible for cold food preparations, including salads and dressings, cold appetizers, charcuterie items, pâtés, terrines and similar dishes. Supervises the butcher and chefs responsible for hors d'oeuvre and breakfast items.
- The roundsman or swing cook, works where needed.
- Pastry chef responsible for all baked items including breads, pastries and desserts. Not necessarily under sous-chef. Supervises the bread baker the confiseur, the glacier and the decorateur.
- The bread baker who makes breads, rolls and baked dough containers used for other menu items.
- Chef who makes candies and petits fours.
- Chef who makes all chilled and frozen desserts.
- Chef who makes showpieces and special cakes.
- Assistants who help at any station or area depending upon size and need.
- Apprentices who work with the station chef or pastry chef to learn the area.
You must Login or Register to add cards