Glossary of China's History Chapter 13
Other Decks By This User
- the teachings of Laozi.
*simple honest life *noninterference with the course of natural events
- The teaching of Buddha
*life is permeated with suffering caused by desire
*suffering ceases when desire ceases,
*enlightenment obtained through right conduct, wisdom,
*meditation releases one from desire, suffering, and rebirth.
- the teachings of Confucius(Kung Fu Zi)
*emphasizing love for humanity
*high value given to learning and to devotion to family (including ancestors)
- Filial Piety
- respect for parents
- Civil Service
- government workers
- tests that the chinese had to take to determine who would be in the Civil Service
- Kong fu Zi
- Confucious (formed comfucianism)
- founder of Daoism
- Mandate of Heaven
- those in power were given the right to rule from a divine source. If a person was corrupt they were no longer serving heaven, and they could be kicked out.
- Tributary State
- Independant state that has to acknowledge the supremacy of another state and pay tribute to its ruler
- The Grand Canal
- a man-made, inland waterway in china. 1,000 miles long
- Silk Road
- A major trade route from asia to europe. It helped to spread black death from asia to europe.
- Yuan Dynasty
- the imperial dynasty of China from 1279 to 1368, when monguls were in rule.
- Ming Dynasty
- Ruled from 1368-1644
*noted for its flourishing foreign trade
*achievements in scholarship
*development of the arts, especially in porcelain, textiles, and painting.
- war lords from mongolia that took over china and segregated the nation.
You must Login or Register to add cards