Glossary of Chemistry of Esty's Chapter 5
Other Decks By This User
- 1. Define Chemistry.
- Science that deals with the composition of structure and properties of material and how it changes.
- 2. Define the two branches of Chemistry.
- Organic and inorganic.
- 3. Define Matter.
- Any substance that occupies space, has physical, chmeical properties.
- 4. Describe the three forms of Matter.
- Solid, liquid or gas.
- 5. Define element.
- The simplest form of matter and cannot be broken down into a simpler substance without the loss of identity.
- 6. Define the difference between and element and a compound.
- Element:2 or more atoms of the same element that united chemically. Compound:chemical combinations of 2 or more atoms of different elements.
- 7. What does ph stand for?
- Potiental Hydrogen
- 8. What is the scale of ph?
- Degree of acidity or alkalinity and is measured on a scale 0-14.
- 9. Are acid above or below a ph of 7?
- 10.Define solution.
- Blended mixture of 2 or more solids, liquids or gases.
- 11. What is a solute?
- It is the dessolved substance in a solution.
- 12. What is a solvent?
- It is a substance, usually a liquid, that dissolves another substance to form a solution with no change in chemical composition.
- 13. Which is not capable of being mixed, miscible or immiscible?
- 14. Define suspension.
- A state in which solid paricles are distributed throughout a liquid meduim.
- 15. Define emulsion.
- It is a mixture of 2 or more immiscible substances united with the aid of a binder or emmulsifier.
- 16. What does the head of the surfactant molecule that is hydrophilic mean?
- Water loveing.
- 17. Define oil in water(o/w)
- Oil droplets are suspended in a waterbase.
- 18. Define wate in oil (w/o)
- Droplets of water are suspended in an oilbase.
You must Login or Register to add cards