Glossary of Chemistry for end of year exams
Other Decks By This User
- What is chemistry?
- the science dealing with the elements, the atoms that compose them and the componds they form
- What is an element?
- any substance that has 1 kind of atom.eg.the element gold has only identical gold atoms
- What is an atom?
- the smallest particles of an element that can exist and still retain all the properties
- What is a compound?
- a substance that contains 2 or more kinds of elements or atoms
- Readily capable of catching fire
- Quickly and easily set on fire
- the ignition of a cumbustible material
- spontaniously combustible
- any substance containing oxygen
- able to destroy something progressively by chemical action
- substance containing radiation
- Who invented the bunsen burner?
- Robert Wilhelm Bunsen
- What was the idea of the bunsen burner?
- to mix air and a fuel in the correct proportion to produce a hot,clear flame
- The hot, noisy and almost invisible flame when the air hole of a bunsen burner is fully open is called?
- a roaring flame
- How much is the force of gravity on earth?
- 9.8 Newtons
- What has 2 or more components that are not chemically joined.eg.water and sugar
- a mixture
- What is a solution?
- a special mixture where in 1 substance(solute)is dissolved in another substance(solvent)
- What is always present in a larger quantity?
- the solvent
- a solution is either __________ or ___________
- aqueous or non-aqueous
- An aqueous solution has
__________ as the solvent
- What is a suspension?
- a kind of mixture where the particles of a solid are uniformly dispersed in a fluid
- a fluid is a __________or ________
- liquid or gas
- give 2 examples of suspensions
- dirt and water and dust particles in the air
- What is a colloid?
- being intermediate in nature between a solution and a suspension
- the particles of a colloid are ________than those of a solution but ______ than those of a suspension
- larger, smaller
- give 3 examples of colloids
- starch and water, paint, gels, slad dressing, foams and creams
You must Login or Register to add cards