Glossary of Chemistry chapter 7 Hudson
Other Decks By This User
- Define Intramolecular forces
- forces within the molecule
- list the types of intramolecular forces
- Ionic, covalent, and metallic
- What is the strongest intramolecular force?
- What is the weakest intramolecular force?
- What can intramolecular forces tell us?
- Define intermolecular forces.
- forces between multiple molecules
- list the types of intermolecular forces.
- 1) dipole-dipole
2) hydrogen bond
3) London dispersion (aka van der Waals)
- Strongests intermolecular force?
- weakest intermolecular force?
- van derWaals
- What can Intermolecular forces tell us?
- they can help us determine the state of the matter the substance will be
- define dipole-dipole forces
- foreces that occure between 2 or more neutral, polar molecules
- how are molecules with dipole-dipole force oriented?
- the postive end and the negative end are close to each other and the force is between them
- What influences the strength of a dipole-dipole force?
- 1) attraction of unlike charges
2)polarity (direcy relationship)
- Molecules held together by dipole-dipole forces tend to occur between molecules that form into what state of matter?
- Hydrogen bondings is a unique case of _______.
- dipole-dipole forces.
- Define hydrogen bonding.
- a force that occurs between hyrdogen in 1 molecule and a highly electronegative atom in another.
- hydrogen bonds most commonly form between hydrogen and _____, _____, or ____.
- oxygen, nitrogen, or flourine
- define London Dispersion force
- forces that occur in everything due to the constant motion of e- compounds
- how strong are london dispersion forces?
- relatively weak
- london dispersion forces are caused by a phenonomenon knowns as ______.
- Instantaneious dipole formation
- what is polarizability
- ease of making a substance polar
- strength of London dispersion force ______ down a group
- polarizability _______ down a group
- Anions have what charge?
- Cations have what charge?
You must Login or Register to add cards