Glossary of Chemistry Vocabulary
Other Decks By This User
- Who developed the Law of Conservation of Mass and state it.
- The L.ofC.M. was developed by Antoine Lavoisier. It says that mass is neither created nor destroyed.
- What is the law of definite proportions and who is its developer?
- The LofDP states that a given compound is always contains exactly the same proportions of elements by mass.
- State the developer of and the law of multiple proportions.
- John Dalton. When 2 elements for a series of compounds the ratios of the massses of the 2nd element that combine with 1g of the first element can always be reduced to small whole numbers
- State Dalton's Atomic Theory
- 1.Each element is made up of tiny particles called atoms
2.The atoms of each given element are indentical; the atoms of different elements are fundamentally different
3.Chemical compounds are formed when atomss combine. A given compound always has the sme relative #s & types of atoms.
4.Chemical reactions involve the reorganization of atoms--changes in the way they are bound together. The atoms themselves are not changed in chemical reaction
- State Avogadro's Hypothesis
- At the same temp. and pressure = volumes of gases contain the same # of particles.
- What are isotopes?
- Atoms with the same # of protons but different numbers of neutrons.
- Covalent Bonds
- bond in which atoms share electrons forming a molecule
- Structural formula
- the representation of a molecule in which the relative positions of the atoms are shown and the bonds are indicated by lines.
- negative ion
- positive ion
- a bonded collection of 2 or more atoms of the same or different elements
- atom or group of atoms that has a net positive or negative charge
- ionic bond
- the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions
- atomic number
- number of protons
- polyatomic ion
- an ion containing numerous atoms
- mass number
- the total number of protons and neutrons in the atomic nucleus of an atom
You must Login or Register to add cards