Glossary of Chemistry The Easy Way: Chapter One (Vocab)
Other Decks By This User
- Aufbau Principle
- Principle stating that an electron occupies the lowest energy orbital that can receive it.
- covalent radius
- Used to describe the size of an atom for nonmetals. To measure, divide the distance of the nuclei of two covalently bonded atoms by two.
- Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures
- When a gas is made up of a mixture of different gases, the pressure of the mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of the components.
- The numerical expression of the relative strength with which the atoms of an element attract valence electrons to themselves; the higher the number, the greater the attraction.
- Group or Family
- a vertical column of elements in the periodic table that generally have similar properties.
- Hund's Rule
- The rule that after an electon occupies the lowest energy orbital that can receive it, pairing will occur with the addition of one more electron to each orbital.
- the scientist given credit for the first periodic table.
- metallic atoms
- tend to lend electrons
- english scientist who first determined the atomic numbers of the elements through the use of x-rays.
- nonmetallic atoms
- tend to gain electrons
- Pauli Exclusion Principle
- each electron orbital of an atom can be filled by only two electrons, each with an opposite spin
- periodic law
- the chemical properties of elements vary periodically with their atomic numbers
- transition elements
- elements involved with the filling of a d sublevel with electrons after two electrons are in the s sublevel of the next principal energy level.
You must Login or Register to add cards